New York - Café Espanol

I usually have a rule against frequenting a restaurant that calls itself an "eatery" - and I have a rule about not frequenting places whose website features music that can't be stopped....

However, despite Café Espanol violating both of these rules, I would eat there again.

Their menu claims to have over 50 Tapas dishes, the paella I tasted was tasty and I realized that I don't like filet mignon as much as I thought I did. (Maybe I'm a simpleton, but give me a medium rare ribeye, and I'm in heaven)

Despite this revelation, the food was great. The wait staff was attentive (although my water did run low once), the ambiance good and the spirits ran high. Maybe there's something to this eating out with friends thing. (I realize the latter doesn't mean much for the restaurant, but I'm a sucker for good company.)

I ordered the Prime Filet Mignon Al Café Español, which was good. Maybe even very good, although see earlier disclaimer about my meat preference. Krista ordered mussels in either the green or garlic sauce, and has a newfound love for them. I would give that dish a big win.

Others at the table ordered various paella's and chicken dishes - I don't recall them all, but I do recall everybody praising their food as we stumbled back to the subway station, fat, dumb and happy.

The only drawback to Café Espanol could be that it's a fair way south, depending on where in Manhattan you start out. Although with the right metro card, it's totally worth going here.

Who am I kidding? It's still worth going. Bring some good friends, and for an extra bonus, order some wine.

You'll have a party before you know it.


CAFÉ ESPAÑOL
172 Bleecker St.
New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment