New York - Angelo's Coal Oven Pizzeria

As some of you know, I took a trip with some friends to New York at the end of March. And as all foodies know, New York has some wonderful restaurants. In this series, I will try to tell you about a few of the places we hit up during our trip.

Near the corner of 57th Street and 6th Avenue in Manhattan, just two blocks south of Central Park, is a delightful little pizzeria called Angelo's Coal Oven Pizzeria.

A trend I noticed in Manhattan restaurants is that they are narrow - and deep. Angelo's seemed to go on forever (and that's not counting the kitchen, which had to be hiding somewhere).

Despite arriving as a fairly large group, we were promptly seated upstairs. (I think they stole some space form the store next door for their stairs - I don't know where else they would've fit them.) The waiter was attentive and the service timely.

The food was delicious. This place is worth eating at many times over.

From their menu we ordered:
- One large pizza with mushrooms, pepperoni, olives, sun dried tomatoes and extra mozzarella.
- Gemelli alla Fiorentina (Twisted pasta with arugula, in a tomato sauce with sliced chicken)
- Spinach & Cheese Ravioli in a Pistachio Sauce

The pizza was wonderful. Some of the best pizza I have eaten, including Mom's home-made (A long-time favorite of mine.)

The pasta dishes were divine. The gemelli was great, but I was a big fan of the ravioli. I'm not sure what it is, but the pistachio sauce puts this one into orbit. It's really that good.

One of our group also ordered one of the salads - I don't recall which one, but it was just as good as the rest of the meal. Which is to say it was great.

Not being from New York (but still a food snob), I highly recommend Angelo's to anyone.

And if you know of better pizza, leave a comment - I just might go back to try it out....


 - d.

Angelo's Coal Oven Pizzeria
117 West 57th Street
New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment